My18th
Follow and join in this discussion by using your free 18thConnect account.

Cavendish, Plays, Never Before Printed (1668) RSS
An open discussion sponsored by Digital Cavendish Project. All 18thConnect users can read and comment.

Posted by Jacob Tootalian on May 30, 2017 10:52PM

Another of the texts that we plan to correct is Cavendish's Plays, Never Before Printed (1668). While EEBO-TCP has catalogued this work as part of Phase II of the project, those texts are not yet available freely beyond TCP institutions. By correcting the OCR'd text (that is, the transcription produced using optical character recognition software) provided by EMOP, we will be filling a critical gap in the corpus of Cavendish's texts that are available digitally. We will be generating versions of Cavendish's texts adaptable to a variety of functions, from producing critical editions to performing digital textual analysis.

Corrections should follow these three main TypeWright guidelines:

1. If a word or portion of a word is completely illegible, type "@" in its place; please do not make any guesses about what a word might be.

2. Copy original spelling and punctuation, typing what you see on the page, except in the case of the long 's': use 's' and not 'f' when 's' is called for.

3. Include end-of-line hyphens, preserving the syllables as they occur on each line.

You can navigate to the text you want to edit by clicking the link to the right of this message. Once there, instead of clicking “Start Editing,” you can pick up where the last corrections leave off by clicking the “last” link. (This is below the “Start Editing” button and above the log of corrections running down the page). This will take you to the line that the previous corrector left off on. Often this will be the final line on the page, so you’ll just need to hit “Next” to start on a fresh page.

TypeWright takes some getting used to if you haven’t worked with it before. Basically, it has mapped out the text of the EEBO images in a series of red boxes. Most of the time, you can easily move from line to line correcting the errors that have come up in the OCR’s attempt to read the pages. Sometimes, though, quirks of the mise en page confuse the tool, and the red boxes get fouled up. There are ways to add missing boxes, but these can be hard to tinker with. If you run into a problem page, feel free to make a note of its number and move on to the next page. Just make sure to post a reply below, letting us know where it is. Then one of us can go back and try to fix it.
This comment was modified on May 30, 2017 10:57PM
Creative Commons License This post is protected by a Attribution Non-Commercial Creative Commons License. Learn more here.
Replies to this topic (7)

Posted by Jacob Tootalian on Jun 01, 2017 02:22PM

UPDATE: On running titles and catch words.

We've decided to retain these features in the transcriptions so that editions based upon the text we produce might, with the proper XML tagging, replicate some elements of the early modern mise en page. While it looks like the correctors working on the Plays text had been correcting these, I was eliminating them. There's a few pages from the start of Plays that I corrected, so I'll make sure to fix that mistake.

Going forward we plan to stick to the standard of retaining and correcting catch words and running titles in the texts we're correcting.

-Jacob

Posted by shawnw.moore on Jul 03, 2017 05:55PM

Hi, Everyone,

Below are the pages* that have corrections currently.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 211

*pages are based on the page numbers in the text and not on search result pages, so the next page that needs to be corrected is page 10 in the text.

When you finish correcting pages, please post what pages you finished below.

Best,
Shawn

Posted by Jose Saiz on Jul 05, 2017 08:18AM

Hello again Jacob and Shawn,

Wonderful tool and just to mention you that I do have a print version of this facsimile at home and I can help you with this text correction. By the way, after ending this revision, Could I export this file into a TEI P5 XML file?

Posted by shawnw.moore on Jul 25, 2017 09:56PM

Hi, Jose,

Yes! According to the nice folks at 18thConnect, once we complete the corrections we can have the file as plain text and as TEI P5 XML file. 

Posted by Jose Saiz on Jul 27, 2017 08:44AM

Hello again and great news! It is gratifying to know that we can use the "best text" for some other tasks.
By the way Shawn, thanks for telling María Antonia I was completing my critical edition of "Blazing World" because she got in touch with me, we did talk about Cavendish's Texts and we hope to collaborate with you soon. 

Having said that, I'd like to know if you have any idea for using a Through Line Numbering (TLN) system for indexing Cavendish's Complete Plays/Works. As a reference, feel free to  check my DRS proposal for Shakespeare's Folio Edition available here:

https://www.degruyter.com/view/j/mstap.2012.9.issue-24/v10224-011-0016-3/v10224-011-0016-3.xml

In Cavendish's plays I have checked both folio editions and they have different lay-outs, but I think we can work with a similar proposal for establishing a standard. Trust me, it is necessary for quantitative analysis and basic editorial tasks.

Posted by Jose Saiz on Nov 01, 2017 07:35PM

HI there!

I have a problem to edit pages #70 - 71 in Plays.

Anyone could test this from his/her own browser?
The app did generate an automatic ticket reporting this bug ... but no answer yet.

Posted by Jose Saiz on Nov 05, 2017 09:02PM

Hello everybody,

Just to mention you that this volume is 99% edited.

Please, feel free to examine the transcription and just to mention that I did find some different variants in the print version I have read. To be discuss ASAP.

Salut!